Monday, October 11, 2010

Show Me the Love!

We each show love in a different way. Some people are physically affectionate, some shower gifts on their beloved, some keep an immaculate household for their family....I cook. The amount of time I spend preparing the menu, buying the best quality ingredients and making every ounce of the meal from scratch gushes with the love I have for the recipient.

And my purpose is (mostly) selfless. In fact, I will not even get to share the meal with some recipients.

My passion for cooking has lead me to join a number of food delivery ministries. This past weekend I prepared a meal for the priests of our parish, who without meal deliveries from parishioners, survive on microwaved meals and whatever they can scrounged up at baptism parties and women's club potlucks.

My menu had to please a crowd of time-crunched, meat-and-potatoes kind of men. I knew the perfect main dish that was both beefy and beautiful!

Stuffed Flank Steak Pinwheels
(modified version of Rolled Flank Steak on allrecipes.com)

2lb Flank Steak
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsp Lawry's Seasoning Salt
1/2 lb sliced provolone
4 slices of bacon
1/2 cup fresh spinach
1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
1 small jar roasted red peppers

1. You want the flank steak to be cut really thin. If your piece seems thick (greater than 1/2 inch), slice the meat horiztonally down the long middle to "butterfly" it.
2. In a plastic bag, mix soy sauce, olive oil and seasoning salt. Add steak and marinate for at least 4 hours.
3. Precook the bacon. Set aside.
4. After marinading, lay the steak out flat, and top with provolone, bacon, spinach, mushrooms and red peppers leaving a 1-inch border.
5. Roll up the flank steak and secure every 2 inches with cooking twine.
6. Place the flank steak roll in a GREASED glass baking dish.
7. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour (internal temp of atleast 145 degrees).
8. Slice into 1 inch "pinwheels".

No comments:

Post a Comment