Monday, July 12, 2010

Get a Life! (Read this Book)

I read mostly non-fiction. In the summer, I try to lighten up from my normal regime of deep theological works or feisty environmental debates to easy reads, like memiors. So far this summer I've read Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls (she also wrote the Glass Castle a few years back) and, my new favorite book, 703 : How I Lost More Than a Quarter Ton and Gained a Life by Nancy Makin.


Once I started reading 703, I was hooked. My poor kids lost their mom for nearly 2 full evenings. The author allowed her self-defeating demons to send her to hell and back. She doesn't play victim or blame anyone specifically for her self-destruction. The wisdom and love of the little things in life that came out of that experience were unbelieveable. Not only did she develop a healthy relationship with food, but she figured out through trial and error that it is only through loving and serving others that we can truly love ourselves.


I highly recommend both of these books for a quick summer read. Support your local library and go check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment